I have just heard of the concept of “splitters” for computers and have questions….


1. What are they?
2. This can be used for the computer and not just monitor right?
3. If my sick sister and I were in the same house with one monitor in one room and one different monitor in her bedroom, could we both “plug in” to the same screen to play various “one player games” each of us being played one?
4. If so, How can we do this and where can we get the materials? What’s the cost?

Thank you!

In: Technology

OK… so it seems like you’re kind of talking about two different things.

There’s a device that’s referred to as a KVM switch. This allows you to use one keyboard, mouse, and display for multiple computers, the switch typically has either buttons on it, or a specialized keyboard input sequence, to switch between computers. I have one that uses a remote to switch between computers. You can get one of these for as cheap as $20.

If you’re trying to do “two users on one device”, you can connect multiple displays and keyboards/mice to a single computer, but then you will likely run into issues of input conflict. I don’t know if there’s software out there that can deconflict multiple inputs like that.

[A screen sharing program like VNC would work if you have a spare PC to act as a remote viewing machine, and a decent WiFi network](https://www.realvnc.com/en/)

As u/arlondiluthel mentioned, using two mice and keyboards at the same time can have weird effects, but it’s mostly fine (we use dual control at my work all the time) and it’s basically just the same as two people fighting on one mouse/keyboard. Only one mouse cursor will be visible, but it will jitter around if simultaneous movements of both mice are being made.

To get stuff connected between rooms (instead of a screen sharing program) you can go oldschool and run cables to extend all the hardware from room to room. Benefits include less lag, and better screen update speed (smoother moving images compared to a screen sharing program which can be kind of choppy).

All these links are to items on Australian eBay, but you’ll be able to find local equivalents very easily.[This will extend a monitor signal to another room](https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132947934309)

[This will extend a mouse or keyboard (you’ll need two pairs to do both)](https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F221573672367)

[This is the type of cable to use with these devices, you’ll need three in total (mouse, keyboard, screen), of whatever length is needed](https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F261265429194)

If getting sound from the PC to the other room is needed too, there are a few options, cheapest being [20m 3.5mm audio cable extensions, a few chained together if necessary](https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253233648239) and a [Y-split](https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F221062715203)

Plug the Y-split into the audio output of the PC, run one side of the split to the speakers near the PC, and the other side goes to the extension to the other room and into another set of speakers. It’s not a pretty way of doing it, some noise will probably get picked up and my audio engineer senses are cringing but it will work just fine:)

[An HDMI audio extractor might be needed depending on how your PC’s audio is configured.](https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F312589088291)

Let us know if you want some clarification on any of this stuff👍