Why do so many drugs/medicines have the potential to cause liver damage? Is the liver just a weak organ that can’t handle much?

557 views
0

Why do so many drugs/medicines have the potential to cause liver damage? Is the liver just a weak organ that can’t handle much?

In: Chemistry

Liver filters your blood. So everything you take passes through it.

Most drugs are toxic in high concentrations. They become poison. So when they hit the filter, they hurt it because it sucks up the poison.

It’s not weak. It’s one of the few parts of us capable of regeneration.

Similar to the way the kidneys filter the fluids in the body, the liver is the body’s blood filter. Everything that enters your body that goes into your blood stream is filtered through your liver such as medicine and alcohol.

The liver’s job is to process bad chemicals found in the blood into things the kidneys can filter out. Many drugs have the potential to be harder to break down than the natural chemicals the liver evolved to process.

Weak? The liver turns toxic alcohol into a fun drink! It turns poison into recreational products with mere side effects. Too much poison and you test your limits with the ability of this magical organ. Too much poison but not enough to cause near-deathly side effects and your liver might get damaged..but..guess what! The liver is one of the only internal organs that posesses the ability to repair itself by regrowing. Someone you know has some near-deadly side effects from consuming too much poison? You can give them a part of your liver. You can GROW BACK this organ so that you and your poisoned friend can continue to poison yourselves safely again. It’s an incredible organ.

Quite the opposite, the liver is a tough organ that handles misty of the poisons the body manufactures and consumes. Too much, however, and it can’t keep up. Poisons build up, making things worse and worse.