Why isn’t it recommended to provoke vomit when ingesting some harmful chemicals?

39 views
0

Why isn’t it recommended to provoke vomit when ingesting some harmful chemicals?

In: 26

The substance ingested could cause more damage on the way back up than simply letting it pass through.

Sometimes the damage they can do on the way back out is also significant. In some cases once they’re back in the throat then the fumes are more likely to be inhaled. Get an ambulance ASAP and stay on the line with emergency services as things can change very fast.

Depends on the chemicals – but in general you don’t want anything nasty to get a **second chance** at damaging your throat/upper esophagus. Ingesting some poison or damaging your stomach lining is surely dangerous, but not being able to *breathe* is universally lethal.

Basically, your stomach is a harsh environment and so is able to handle acid, caustic agents like bleach, and other toxins that work by physically damaging your tissue much better than things the toxin might encounter on its way back up, like your throat, sinuses or lungs if you accidentally inhale.

Most dangerous substances people keep around the house, like cleaning agents and detergents, contain corrosive chemicals like bleach or sodium hydroxide, so you end up seeing that warning more often than not