eli5. The 80/20 Pareto Principle

205 views

eli5. The 80/20 Pareto Principle

In: 1

2 Answers

Anonymous 0 Comments

20% of your effort realises 80% of effect… therefore we spend a lot of time squeezing out the remaining 20%. It separates the important few from the trivial many. An example would be 20% of time generates about 80% of code on a software project and all that remaining time is spent on a small portion due to whatever reasons. It’s just a rule of thumb and not a particularly accurate idea. 20% of people might control 80% of wealth. This probably isn’t that accurate in modern times but you get the idea.

Anonymous 0 Comments

Empirically, we see that in lots of situations, twenty percent of causes cause eighty percent of effects. The top twenty percent of Burger King’s customers eat eighty percent of the burgers. The top twenty percent of outdoor cats kill eighty percent of the songbirds. The top twenty percent of car drivers drive eighty percent of the total miles driven.