I was doing some kitchen sink faucet repair this weekend and replaced the screen on the spout. I noticed it was filled with crud that had built up over time. How does this not make us sick?

530 views
0

I was doing some kitchen sink faucet repair this weekend and replaced the screen on the spout. I noticed it was filled with crud that had built up over time. How does this not make us sick?

In: Biology

[removed]

Most of it is anorganic calcium that, while being crunchy, does not contain pathogenic bacteria by default.
Tap water, in most first world countries is actually so very clean and low in bacterial count, that you could put a catheter into your vein and directly transfuse water from the tab into your bloodstream without risking a bacterial infection. There are, of course, many other reasons why should never do this.

It is hard water deposits. Calcium, lime, that sort of thing. It’s crazy how fast that builds up. Soft water is your friend.

But, it is literally just minerals that were dissolved in your water. When the water dries, those minerals are left behind. I believe it’s the same calcium that is in milk, etc., for instance. It doesn’t make you sick because your body needs those minerals.