Why is it okay to eat blue cheese, but not other things that are moldy?

4.76K views

Why is it okay to eat blue cheese, but not other things that are moldy?

In: Biology

13 Answers

Anonymous 0 Comments

Just as some fruit is good to eat, some is poisonous. We can grow molds that are good for us just as we grow berries and mushrooms that are good for us. We do this carefully, with special equipment, so that the molds we grow in cheeses and yogurt and other similar products, and we are careful to keep everything clean so that we only grow the mold we want.

Blue cheese is made by taking a bit wheel of cheese (various sorts) and sticking a very long syringe full of the specially made (cultured) mold (made liquidy) into the cheese. They squeeze the syringe and pull it out (retract it), so the mold is dispersed within the protein an fat of the cheese. This is done again (repeated) so that the cheese is riddled with mold.

Then, the mold is left to grow inside the cheese. When it is ready (time depends on cheese type) the cheese is cut and people eat it.

You are viewing 1 out of 13 answers, click here to view all answers.